Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Full circle

January 1st, 1989 I started working at Zagara's Gourmet & Specialty food store in Marlton, NJ. I worked there for 8 years. Though, while working there, I had dreams of getting on stage and working in the entertainment industry one day, I never thought it would actually happen. It sort of did.
However, after I left my home of 8 years, I worked for a mortgage company for 6 years. I thought, this is better than the food service world. I didn't have to wear a uniform. I was clean when I left. I made more money. I had weekends and holidays off.
During that time at the mortgage company, I decided to take a comedy class at the American Comedy Institute because at the end of the class you do a set at Carolines. Having never been on stage and knowing nobody, I figured it's a good way to force myself. I did. It went well. I got up more frequently.
Eventually, in 2003, the mortgage company was having layoffs, but to avoid them they offered pretty sweet resignation packages. I took it to take a chance and pursue comedy. Eventually, I became the general manager of Rascals Comedy Club in Cherry Hill. They closed in June of 2006. After having established a decent reputation, I tried to do my own thing, thus losing more money and screwing myself.
Now, in August of 2008, I just took a job at Wegman's in the dairy case. I've come full circle and I'm back in the food industry.
The good thing about working in the dairy case, is that I'm safe from the blob. As we all know, the blob cannot survive in the cold.
I guess my point in all this is never forget where you came from. If you're ever in the Mt. Laurel, NJ area and in need of milk or yogurt and a laugh. Stop in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was sad. In fact, it was so sad that I'm going to pretend I'm you, and kill myself because I doubt you realize that you probably should.

It's been great knowing you, sir! :)

Jason said...

It's ok. I'm not taking the job. It was a phase, ms. anonymous.