Saturday, August 9, 2008

Last night.

Stand up is a great way to get into the movies. Well, we did our show at the Washington Theatre. It, literally, was a movie theatre. You could hear the Pineapple Express playing in the next theatre during the show.
The place is a very cool, old theatre. It used to be a vaudeville house back in the day.
The owner told me he's looking for people to showcase their independent films and is looking to do a independent horror film festival this October.
I asked the audience what the most popular job is in this little town. I assumed the tooth fairy was the occupation of choice. They said lumberjack.
One 19 year old audience member told me that she has traveled as far as Union, NJ once. It's definitely not the cultural mecca of NJ, but a pretty little town, nonetheless.
The owner, Marco, was a very nice guy, but a little out there. I asked him if there are a lot of black bears around there. He was confused. Marco looked at me as if I know more than I should about something.
He said, "Not to long ago, I actually saw a huge one in my backyard. Why are you asking about this?" I thought I walked into an X-Files episode.
He asked, "Where are you from?"
"South Jersey. Right outside of Philadelphia."
"Oh! So you're used to city life. I get it now."
The people there were very cool and friendly. Just don't ask about the bears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...AND DON'T ASK WHY THEY HAVE ONE ARM LONGER THAN THE OTHER OR DO A PHLEM GRUNT EVERY TIME THEY PRONOUNCE A NAME ENDING IN "ING".